Residential Treatment Centers focus on behavioral support and are suitable for teens that have not benefited from outpatient counseling. They need a safe, highly structured, clinically sophisticated setting.
- Some common characteristics or diagnoses among these teens include, anger, suicidal ideations or attempts, oppositional defiance, conduct disorder, self-harming behaviors, ie. cutting, chemical dependency, eating disorders; severe depression, anxiety, neurological impairments, bi-polar disorder, borderline personality disorder, post traumatic stress disorder.
- These programs provide comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis, stabilization and medication management.
- Intensive individual and family therapy is part of the weekly regimen.
- Family involvement may include seminars, parent education and family therapy.
- These are typically locked or facilities with restricted access. Many are JCAHO accredited; meaning third party reimbursement through insurance is possible.
Stays can be as short as 30 days, often 3-6 months. Hospital stays are often on a per diem basis and are anywhere from one week up to 3-4 months. Residential programs can be 6-12 month stays.
Costs range from $8,000 to $12,000 per month.